1. Preparing the Property for Rent
2. Advertising – What is Legal & Isn’t
3. Screening & Red Flags
4. Showing Property
5. Application & Criteria
6. Processing Applicant
7. Components of a Good Lease
8. Managing the Tenancy
9. Navigating the Move-Out Process
10. Security Deposit – What is Wear & Tear?
Module 3 – Management Cycle
Lesson 2 – Advertising – What is Legal & Isn’t
Remember you are selling a rental not selling the house. So keep your advertising short and sweet and to the point. Just state the facts and follow fair housing laws.
Here are the don’ts:
- Don’t ask about children, ages, or how to spell last name.
- Don’t ask for last month’s rent
- Don’t collect non-refundable deposits or fees
- Don’t deny a service or emotional support animal
- Don’t request Female/Male/Single/Senior/Family only
- Don’t steer
- Don’t give occupancy requirements