Today, weâ€™re talking about how to keep your property management employees happy and motivated. One of the first things you want to do is to praise them and recognize them and show that you value them. When you can manage to do this in public or with other clients and employees, thatâ€™s even better. It goes a long way towards making people feel really valued. Here are some other things you can do:
- Check in with employees often and see how you might be able to support them and help them do their jobs.
- Pay your employees what theyâ€™re worth and offer as many benefits as you possibly can within your business structure.
- Provide employees with a career path, and not just a job. Give your team educational opportunities so they can grow with you.
- Do fun things in the office. Host parties and recognize birth dates and anniversary dates of when they started with company. People are always surprised when we remember anniversaries, and we make a big deal about in our office.
- Set a company vision that all your employees can get behind. Make sure each of them feels responsible and as a champion for a certain goal or idea. They will feel like they are part of where the company is going.
- Donâ€™t micromanage your employees. You hired great people, so let them do their thing. Get out of the way and let them do what they do.
- Finally, if you have hired the wrong person or a great person who is not a good fit for your property management company, release them right away. Sometimes we work too hard to make exceptions and find a place for them, but it can be really damaging to morale, and that takes a long time to rebuild. If the wrong person is on the bus, get the right person on the bus instead.
For further tips on how to build your property management team, please contact us at The Property Management Coach.